Adventures in Beer Brewing

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Brew #4: Who's in the Garden Grand Cru

This is the first time I've followed a recipe from a book. Taken from the New Complete Joy of Homebrewing, the copious amounts of coriander in this beer snagged my interest. I've heard coriander is a secret ingredient in some commercial beers and have been curious to try it. Here goes!

INGREDIENTS:

5 lb light dried malt extract
2 3/4 lb orange blossom honey

1 oz. Hallertauer hops (boiling hops)
1/3 oz. Hallertauer hops (flavor hops)
1/2 oz. Hallertauer hops (aroma hops)

1 1/2 oz. freshly ground coriander seeds
1/2 oz. dried bitter orange peel, lightly crushed

35 ml White labs Belgian Saison yeast #WLP565

PROCEDURE:

1. Boil water (fill pot only halfway because the dried malt takes up a surprising amount of volume), then add honey and malt. Stir, stir, stir to keep malt from caramelizing on the bottom. Interestingly, using honey in beer gives it a lighter, drier flavor. After tasting this wort I can say it's true...

2. Bring to a boil again and add bittering hops. Continue boiling for 45 minutes.

3. Remove bittering hops and add 3/4 oz. crushed coriander plus flavor hops for 10 minutes. I crushed my coriander in our coffee grinder (cleaned it first, of course!).

4. Remove stuff from step 3. Add the rest of the crushed coriander plus orange peel for 5 minutes, and in the last 2 minutes add the aroma hops.

5. Remove stuff from step 4, cool completely, dump into carboy and pitch yeast.

MUSINGS, MISHAPS:

I have high, high hopes for this beer. The coriander and orange peel smelled glorious together. This will be a fun one to drink in the spring!

TASTING COMMENTS:

2/18/07 - We racked the beer and had a taste. This will reveal the extent of my ignorance about beer in general, but Scott just informed me this recipe is supposed to mimic a Belgian witbier called Hoegaarden. Hence the name "Who's in the Garden". I had no idea. So, we bought some Hoegaarden and compared it to my homebrew. Quite an unusual beer - very cloudy and yeasty, but not a bready yeastiness, more a yogurty/lactic flavor. The orange peel didn't come through, but people typically bring out this flavor by serving the beer with an orange slice (like Hefeweizen with lemon). I think I can taste the piquancy of the coriander. My beer is very much like the commercial brew, but a bit darker in color and a little maltier. Hmmm, this will definitely require more drinking - er, I mean research!

6 Comments:

  • At 8:34 AM, Blogger Poi people Filigree phoenix said…

    Woah...excellent profile pic!!!
    Hey, im new to blogger but i run the non competitive social network for fire and dance called Poi people...i see you fire dance so i'd like to say hello and how are you?
    please feel free to click the link in my blog to see fire videos that are hosted on our fire network and please make your own profile there and join our global fire community growing there in peace and friendliness
    smiles
    Phoenix

     
  • At 11:46 PM, Blogger Tom said…

    Great Blog. I just started homebrewing and have done a few batches. Some were good, some only I would drink. Looking forward to reading more or your brew happenings.

     
  • At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hm.... sounds interesting, and tasty. My buddy and I just got into home brewing ourselves, and minus the mis-adventures had a blast with out first batch. Maybe we'll try this next. looking forward to the next interesting post and happy brewing.

     
  • At 2:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hey Kate, from North Carolina *grins*

    --Jeff
    (ps, hunt me down at jcarlton@zodiacworld.org)

     
  • At 9:56 AM, Blogger Matt said…

    If you want a lighter color try swapping light for extra-light dry malt extract. I think its available at most brew stores.

     
  • At 12:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Let it sit in the keg for about 5-6 days. It clears up tremendously and the taste is so crisp and clean. I also used the rind of two fresh oranges and light malt syrup. The orange flavor is the perfect balance between the the coriander and malt. I love this beer!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home